The Comprehensive School of Grottaminarda, established on 1st September 2013, consists of Infant, Primary and Secondary school of Grottaminarda and Melito. It is made up of 1000 students, 223 of which belong to Infant school, 464 to Primary school and 290 to Secondary school. There are almost 120 teachers.
Grottaminarda is a small town of about 9000 inhabitants near Avellino in the Campania region, while Melito is smaller and it has 3000 inhabitants.
Unfortunately nowadays, Grottaminarda and Melito, like many Italian towns in the south of Italy, are facing some economical and social problems created by unemployment and migration, which is still the preferred option of many young people. Moreover, the local authorities are not able to provide sport and recreational facilities for our teenagers, so most of them spend their free-time in bars and arcades or hanging around on the streets, places where they may be easily influenced by negative behavior and choices. This is why our school tries to create a safe and supportive environment for them encouraging open communication and encouraging participation in structured activities. Our aim is to promote the moral, cultural and physical development of our students and prepare them for the opportunities and responsibilities of adult life. We think that a Erasmus plus project is a fantastic opportunity for our students to foster a new friendship outside the confines of their town and to gain valuable knowledge of the other countries cultures and communities.
The formative offer of the school is based on two big areas: the linguistic communicative area and the logical-mathematical and scientific- technological one. Its aim is to:
- Deepen the knowledge of our history, the environmental resources for a coherent cultural and territorial identification;
- Promote the direct and conscious students’ participation to the processes of transformation of their territory, without destroying their own historical values;
- Widen young people’s cultural horizons through the comparison with other European realities and improve intercultural exchanges;
- Improve the quality of education;
- Promote linguistic competences and encourage motivation in learning languages;
- Develop digital competences through the use of new information technologies.
As concern the quality and evaluation, our Institute has put in action processes of self assessment by joining the PON VALES and P.Q.N. whose aims are to find the positive and negative aspects of the school in order to improve it through our “Plan of Improvement”.